Log in to LaMED DashBoard to begin a new online initial application, complete a previously started (and saved) online initial application or to check the status of your completed online initial application.
The items listed below MUST be completed and mailed to the LSBME as part of the initial application process.
Note: notarized documents must be signed in the presence of a notary.
Oath or Affirmation- must be notarized
Third Party Authorization - must be notarized
Photograph Page - passport quality
Oath or Affirmation
This form must be notarized. All yes answers must be accompanied by a sworn affidavit. A sworn affidavit is an explanation (in applicant’s own words) that must be typed and notarized. Note: If criminal history is found that was not disclosed, you will be required to submit a new Oath or Affirmation, a notarized affidavit as to why you did not disclose the information and a new processing fee equal to the initial licensure fee. It is important that you answer question 3 accurately and truthfully. Do not take the advice of friends, lawyer, etc.
Third Party Authorization
This form must be notarized. It authorizes LSBME to obtain information concerning the applicant from third parties.
Certificate of Dean/Registrar
Complete Section 1 as directed. Mail to professional school/university for completion of Section 2. The school/university must mail the completed form directly to LSBME.
A passport quality photograph must be submitted. This photo must be a 2"x2" clear, head and shoulders photo taken within the last 6 months.
LSBME conducts background checks as part of the application process. Instructions and forms can be found at the link above.
Fee must be paid via credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover only).
Fee is non-refundable.
Birth Certificate/Valid Visa
- U.S. citizen - submit a notarized or certified copy of your birth certificate.
- U.S. citizen not born in the U.S. - submit a notarized copy of your certificate of citizenship, consular report of birth abroad or certificate of naturalization.
- Non-U.S. citizen - submit a notarized copy of current proof of citizenship. Acceptable forms of citizenship are an H1B Visa, J1 Visa, O1 Visa, TN Visa, Permanent Resident card or Employment Authorization card.
- Louisiana law (LA RS: 37.12) requires a valid permit to live and work in the United States to practice medicine.
- J1 Visas are structured for training and educational purposes only. The typical sponsor for a Medical Doctor’s J1 Visa is the ECFMG. A J1 visa is not for employment outside of a formal training program.
- H1B Visas are intended for those who are performing a specialized service or occupation. These Visas are usually sponsored by hospitals or a particular employer.
- The LSBME works with the United States INS to grant interlocking letters to obtain an effective date for the H1B Visa. The effective date of the Visa will be the effective date of the Louisiana license or permit issued by the LSBME.
- The applicant’s employer usually needs a valid LSBME license to complete the credentialing process for hospitals, insurance companies, and professional liability insurers. Therefore, the licensure applicant should work with the United States INS Visa sponsor to set the effective date for the Visa.
Marriage Certificate/Name Change
Application for certification in a name other than what appears on the birth certificate requires a notarized copy of official documentation of name change (ie marriage certificate).
Notarization as a “True Copy”
Request the notary to certify a copy of your birth certificate and/or marriage certificate as a “true and correct copy of the original”. If the notary will not notarize the copy,
you can attest that it is a “true and correct copy of the original”. The notary can then notarize your signature.
BOC - Board of Certification
Applicants must be certified by the BOC. A Certification Verification must be received by LSBME directly from the BOC. To order visit http://www.bocatc.org/ats/certification-verification. Only written verifications are accepted.
Verification of Other Licenses
Verification of all state licenses are required. Contact the state board(s) directly to obtain verification of your license. Please note, there may be a processing fee needed.
Verification of Application/Licensure Status
Visit our website at www.lsbme.la.gov and log on to your account to verify the progress/status of your application.
Communication with the Board
Mailing Address - LSBME, 630 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
Questions - Contact our licensing department at email@example.com. To find the analyst directly assigned to your application, click on Contact Us.